Sunday 18 July 2021

A walk in the park


I often walk in the park. No, that is not true, I walk in the park and I sit down on a bench and I think and observe and feed the bird life with bread scraps.On most days I see the usual walkers and joggers, skateboarders and mothers with babies or toddlers. I don't wave or say hello to them or they to me as we are part of the park just like the seats; the gardens, the grass and the trees. Then there is Maisie. I am sure that is not her name but just one I have given her. She looks cross and holds a coat hanger in one hand and drags a trolley with the other.

The trolley is filled with bags half filled with bottles, cans and plastic containers each worth a few cents at the recycling depot. So we have little debris littering our streets, parks and waterways. It is just too valuable for Maisie and hundreds like her. An army of scavenger ants in Adelaide clearing the city and elsewhere.

As I sit Maisie approaches the bin near me and uses a coathanger for the treasures in the garbage. She is dressed for the task. Even her best friends wouldn't recognise her as she wears a hat that shields her face and protects her from the sun held on by a chiffon scarf.Her clothes would be rejected by opportunity shops and her shoes would probably fit me.

At first I would ignore her and she me. Then one day hiding behind her mask was a sweet face when her grimace relaxed.  I saw a different Maisie as a young girl having her first kiss gazing in a boys eyes, then later holding a baby. So I got up and took a walk in the park 


356 words


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. PS I thought I recognised that image! I just Googled it, and sure enough it is in Launceston City Park, where I spent a lot of time in my childhood. Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

      Delete
  2. Seeing more, it happens.

    Happy Sunday
    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every life tells a story. You did good reading hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to see when you look deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People have such amazing stories about themselves to tell, if only we stop and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For every face there's a story to be told. I loved your recount of your park visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really liked your character sketch, and i liked the implied role swapping in these lines:

    ".Her clothes would be rejected by opportunity shops and her shoes would probably fit me."

    very well written

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bit of a sad dose of reality....but well written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exquisite ... tugging at every heart string I have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen these ladies on our streets here, hauling thick cardboard pieces and bags of empty cans. some do it for the small change that will bring them, some said they do it to pass the time.

    I like the character sketch here. it brings out the person in the sketch, and is very believable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO good. Excellent piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A connection between two and a great story.

    ReplyDelete