Wednesday 12 May 2021

Io and me in New Zealand (Chapter 13)

 


Our next destination was New Zealand itself. I explained to Io that the country was once known as Aotearoa and the native population was originally aggressive but was still a significant part of the population of the country’s two main islands. I told her that once when I visited on a cruise ship a young Maori woman would welcome you and rub noses with passengers as they disembarked!

Many Maori settlements still existed and were great tourist attractions for visitors. Both Maori , British and other colonists were all mixed now. We decided to hire a car and drive to a North island reserve with hot springs and geysers to get details of the male god Io that my Greek goddess Io was keen to learn about. She loved the warm welcome we and other tourists received and delighted in their greetings with the men dancing the Haka and women dancing the Poi. 

Later we were able to explore the reserve and ask questions. When I asked about their ancient god Io. One of the women dancers nodded pleased with us asking. She told us that a few older members of their tribe still talked about their ancestors gods and goddesses but in modern New Zealand almost all Maori had converted to Christianity but still maintained ancient customs and way of life as Aotearoa (New Zealand) was still their home.

Clearly then the Pacific Io had disappeared and no longer had worshippers and shrines anymore. My Io looked at me, shook her head sadly saying “Perhaps that is what will happen to me”.

I gave her a hug to comfort her, saying “You can come back to Australia and stay with me if you like”.

She smiled at me but shook her head. “No, I must return to Greece. However I will not forget you Robin".

I kissed her and we hugged each other for a long time; when I opened my eyes I was all alone.

A couple of days later I caught my plane for Adelaide and have never felt so bad in all my life.    

The End

Picture from www.shutterstock.com


8 comments:

  1. A mixed blessing, it seems, to be loved by a goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a young Maori woman would welcome you and rub noses with passengers as they disembarked!"

    Those were the good ole days, certainly not an advised pratice for Covid 19 days

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  3. at least the goddess will not forget the protagonist.
    which brings a thought to mind by your story. will most, if not all traditional religions be swallowed up by the major religions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not ready for your tale to end .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the thing about adventures, isn't it? There is always a sense of loss when they are over. And sometimes that sense is all consuming...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, adventures have their ups and downs. I too wasn't prepared for your ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad they changed it to New Zealand. I would not be able to spell the old name correctly. Gotta google haka and poi. The learning could enhance my two left feet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unexpected and sad--the loss can be large--maybe even more so when the adventure is compelling

    ReplyDelete