Wednesday 12 May 2021

Brothers

                         

Little do we realise that we too are wild animals                                                                      Starting as children, crying for mothers milk                                                                                Grabbing anything with our liitle fingers                                                                                      Pushing it in our mouths in case it is food

Then as we look around we are aware of others                                                                  There is another child in the family                                                                                            Who looks at you strangely...you're the enemy                                                                          For you have taken something precious from him

And so it was with me for my own brother hated me                                                                    Five years later I finally understood                                                                                              Mother would encourage us "Go out to play"                                                                                So we did and clearly he was in charge  

We lived in the country and we walked in the woods and the fields                                            As his plaything he would push me in the stream                                                                        Or run off and hide from me laughing away                                                                                  As some of his friends in our street came along

I leant that the best thing to do was to just walk away                                                                  Find my own friends who also lived in our street                                                                          And so it was other boys who were my age                                                                                  Invited me home to play...so I survived                              


Illustration found at www.pixabay.com                                                                                      


9 comments:

  1. Ah, sibling rivalry... I hope you are closer now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of three girls, the oldest, I hope I treated my sisters more compassionately than the brother you write about ~~ a well penned piece indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That can be a fiendish thing indeed. Glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an only child...not ideal either. I lake the survival skills that you learned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sibling rivalry can be brutal. You'd think that an older brother would protect his younger sibling, but... that's not always the case. The reality is often more like this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had the guts to find yout own friends Robin

    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much 💚love

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad he didn't try to poison those friendships, or if he did, it didn't work. My brothers are 5 years apart, and were never close either. I'm so much younger (10 and 15 years) I might as well been an "only." That younger of the boys now has cut off every single other member of the family. We've all "wronged" him in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sad tale. I would imagine you and your brother are not close to this day. My brother was 7 years older, and we did not become close until we were both adult.

    ReplyDelete