Saturday 24 April 2021

Last days of the farm


It's crack of dawn and the day is still dark 

As winter starts to sleep in a lot

It's cold outside and time to start work

And checking the barns stacked full of feed

Then I trudge tirelessly around the fields

As the animals run up for breakfast

Some slipped up on wet ground as they came

For the paddock was steep in their rush


I glanced at my watch...plenty of time

Wife said a buyer's coming today

So I have to get back fairly soon

It all looks good so I told myself

So off I trudged back home up the hill

The bank told us there is no profit here

They're right of course but it still hurts us


Illustration from www.pixabay.com



1 comment:

  1. Oh, I thought the buyers were for the livestock. Sad. No profit, yet so many small farmers and ranchers try to hang on to their land, hoping it gets better. Hoping their sons and daughters come back to the land, but they've chosen other, different, easier lives. You've given us a very moving picture of the last days.

    ReplyDelete