Wednesday 7 April 2021

Beloved companion

 


It is some years since my younger daughter's Australian Magpie died. She had found him injured with one wing broken and her immediate thought was to take it to the vet as it had been in a fight with another bird or animal. Clearly it could not fly and the damaged wing was removed and then he was grounded for the rest of its life. He soon settled down happy to be fed and had a large cage where it could roost and be safe from other enquiring birds and predators with all food and cleaning provided for him.

He seemed quite grateful and was inquisitive enough. Often he would enter my daughter’s house and make himself at home and be happy enough to sit with me a visitor and tell me what he had been up to; not that I could understand him. Later I was asked to look after him when my daughters family went on holiday. He settled in very well. I let him use his cage on my first floor balcony so he could see other birds in the area. At night I brought him inside and he watched the TV with me. He jumped out of his cage and sat with me on the arm of my chair or indeed on my arm and enjoyed the programs I did.

I must confess I was quite sad to lose his companionship when my daughter’s family returned home, but he was always happy to see me when I visited. Other birds in their garden used to tease him somewhat.

Sadly, he disappeared one day never to return, probably went for a walk and perhaps did not survive a confrontation with another creature. However knowing him and his acceptance of his disability and the humans that cared for him probably provided him with the happiest life few of his kin ever had.


318 word count



10 comments:

  1. A nice story, Robin. Worry doesn't help much but it was a worrisome affair that he fell from the earth, we don't know how.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you already know how much I like magpies, Robin, and I’m intrigued by the picture and the story about the Australian magpie. I’ve often heard of corvids that have befriended humans, and I have seen the film ‘Penguin Bloom’, but never witnessed such a wonderful friendship for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kim, for your info, Australian magpies are different from the ones you have. I just found this online to explain:
      A member of the Artamidae, the Australian magpie is placed in its own genus Gymnorhina and is most closely related to the black butcherbird (Melloria quoyi). It is not, however, closely related to the European magpie, which is a corvid.

      Delete
  3. Watching tv with a magpie...very cool !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful bird! Yes, your family gave him a much longer and happier life than he would otherwise have had after his accident. And he obviously gave you all much happiness and companionship too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like magpies! The corvid family are my favorite birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely little friend. I still think of my lost animals from years ago. When I was 6 years old we had a white rabbit that lived in a hutch behind the house. We would take him out and play with him, and he usually stayed close by, but one day he ran off. I can't imagine that it went well for him. There were coyotes, foxes, and packs of wild dogs in the area.
    At my son's first apartment, one of his cats got out when I was bringing in the groceries. I didn't notice that she was gone until a couple of hours later. We never found her. I've always blamed myself for not being more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I luv birds and your beautiful bird story with a touch of sadness
    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fascinating story! So sorry he met a mysterious end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so sweet that your family got close enough to the magpie to share part of your lives with him. I'm sure he loved your company too.

    ReplyDelete