Saturday 3 April 2021

Io speaks the truth...I think (Chapter 7)

 


Io, my yummy companion (and ancient Greek goddess) had somehow upset my normal and dull life and was now telling me she was on a special mission to persuade the world to take the ancient gods seriously. Well yes, I needed little persuasion as she had offered herself to me. She told me that Zeus had caught wind or more likely heard that Aeolus the god of the winds had learnt of a new god that was neither male or female but had the ability to persuade people to think, act and exist with each other and the world. 

I'd already put two and two together thinking that had happened more that 2000 years ago. But Io just shook her head saying "No, this new god's name is "Io" the same as mine!"

I was speechless as Io explained what she had found out. Aeolus in charge of the wind clearly had travelled far and wide reporting back to Zeus. Then off he would go huffing and puffing about as winds do. However once when drunk he had spilt the beans, saying the god he had found was both passive and active, was eternal without forebears but he was the precursor.

Io then looked at me and said "Now you can see why I was summoned, don't you?" 

I nodded doubtfully saying "Well it can't be you or what you can become because you have a father and mother."

Io nodded too and continued. "This male Io is different. Zeus reckons if we can get him on side, the pantheon of gods can become active again. So I think we should go and find him". 

"Have you got an atlas?" Io then asked

I laughed and said "He is part of your lot, holding everything up". 

Io then laughed too "That's what I like about you Robin. Perhaps you should come too and keep me company. 

I nodded but said "I am tired now, let's discuss this in the morning. You can sleep in the single bedroom if you want to".

"No that won't work" she said ,"I have been told to always protect and look after you."

I just shook my head in disbelief!


Word count 360


Image of a Pacific island found at www.pixabay.com


10 comments:

  1. I'm always intrigued by Greek mythology. And so, I enjoyed reading your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the part where they sleep together and Zeus catches them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, There is another one! I wonder if the world--and Robin--will be able to handle two Ios. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to have a special protector who is a Goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing piece, especially the idea behind the new God

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh you lucky guy! you have a yummy goddess looking after you. :)
    i think i know who the other Io is. waiting for the tale to unfold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, "The Modern Deity's Guide to Surviving Humanity"--I wrote a full-length story and submitted it. It didn't win, so it's due to pop up on my web site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well done, Robin!! My favorite is the newly found one neither male nor female.
    Thanks for peeking in today, glad to here how you downsized in retirement. I would also, and soon may. Right now we still have a large house, a pool, two old Mustang cars and a driver. Our young granddaughter, age eleven, we help some with her as both her parents work. I am 87, Mrs. Jim 77. We hire out lawn and pool care and we have a two hour house cleaning every two weeks.
    ..

    ReplyDelete