Friday 12 February 2021

View over the ocean

 



Let's go for a walk" invited Song one beautiful morning. I know a place where there is a great view of the sea". She pointed to the hills behind them. Dum should come too".

What are you planning, Song?” Yum asked.

Song smiled, “I have a yearning. I want more; I want to see more; I want to learn more.” Yum looked sad  saying, “Perhaps happiness is staying and living our lives safely”.

Dum caught up with them after he had left the children playing with their friends in the village. They climbed up the mountainside higher than ever before. A light breeze blew their hair and the smell of the trees and the flowers was different to the plain below.

Yum found a small open area to look out over the ocean. Song sat too to admire the view. While they chatted Yum continued to observe the horizon and suddenly called out, “Look, look far in the distance do you see what I see?” all the while pointing with her fingers to where she was looking. Dum of course only had one eye so he said “What do you see?”

Song just smiled. “The sky is so clear we can see far, far away when we look out from here. Do you see it? It looks like another land...I want to go there.”

Dum looked at Yum who now clearly felt like crying. She loved Song but didn’t want to lose her. So then Dum asked Song “How will you get there?”

“Well Dum, you will build a boat for me...well, for us all perhaps. We should all see what is there. We have the ability, we have the courage and we have the love to explore our world.”

Yum looked doubtful, “What if it is terrible or dangerous there?”

Song put her hand on Yum’s face “Then we will come back” she smiled. “But remember we have much to trade.”

So this was the day that man instead of wandering by foot on land decided to explore the world by sea.





Note that Song's reference to their having much to trade was of course their knowledge. This is the last Dum and Yum story for the moment. 

342 words

Image found at www.pixabay.com

 


11 comments:

  1. A fitting moment at which to pause the tale. Because what follows becomes a new tale, and a huge one. I have very much enjoyed all of this beautiful and so believable story of our beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their little world is expanding! I love the description of them on the mountainside, Robin, you evoked so much in the light breeze, the smell of the trees and the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story and storytelling - you are indeed a skilled writer.
    You took me there, with them, and I can't wait for the next instalment.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Song smiled, “I have a yearning. I want more; I want to see more; I want to learn more"

    Ah Robin we all have a song in our hearts. Pun intended

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    Much💗love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what their first boat will be made of, how far they will get, what they will see... Exciting, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... We have much to explore. Undoubtedly there will be more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ,,,,abd biw tge adventures broaden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the will all be happier in this new exciting chapter of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. I love the feeling after reading it some of promises and some of love

    ReplyDelete