Saturday 27 February 2021

Io and my first night (Chapter 2)

 


Io and I were passengers on the plane. She chose her food, her drinks and accepted the toiletries a stewardess gave her.

Io was a Naiad, Inachus's daughter. Her job was to frighten people or sing as they drowned. 

She was Hera's handmaiden who Zeus fancied. Hera suspected this as he ravished any girl turning them into heifers. Hera wasn't fooled. Seeing a heifer grazing she asked Zeus if she could have one as a present. Zeus couldn't refuse so agreed. Hera then set hundred eyed Argus to keep watch on Io day and night. Zeus desperate to possess Io gets Hermes to kill Argus. This clearly is not an easy task as even when Argus is sleeping half his eyes are still open. So Hermes has a chat with Argus and they talk all night. Hermes telling him boring tales so eventually all of Argus eyes closed. Hermes then kills Argus so Zeus can have Io.

I guessed Io would be cross when I asked why she chose business class rather than cattle class for this trip. She seemed puzzled at first explaining that I was the only person on the plane that she had met before so naturally she chose to sit by me. Suddenly she twigged the cattle joke and was furious; but then relaxed.

“That is what I like about you, Robin.” She said with a cute smile,” You are not scared of me.”

Changing the subject “Should I be?”

“Just don’t let me down.”

“Have you flown before?”

She looked at me, “How did you know?”

“I didn’t, I was just asking.”

Satisfied I was telling the truth she said, “I flew with Icarus with his new wings when he was  escaping from Crete. I was on the isle of Samos with Hera when she made me her handmaiden. He couldn’t keep flying safely. He just had to fly high to the sun just for fun."

“Just to impress you?" I suggested

“Don’t be jealous Robin.”

"I am not" I lied. 

“It wasn’t my fault about Icarus” she murmured sleepily.

When I woke she was holding my hand. 



Word count  352


Kokkinolaimis - Robin

Image found at www.thebusinesstraveller.com

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm, Icarus might not be the only one to play with fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling brings such great opportunities to meet interesting people -- and Io definitely counts as interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like stories with Greek gods! (i read chapter 1 too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Robin you scored on that flight☺

    Happy Sunday

    Much💗love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just hope that you don't have to fly over water, and good old Io feels the urge to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating tale Robin. Dreams take us to amazing places!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to resurrect the ghosts of Greek gods.
    Would they still intervene in the affairs of humans? You bring them alive again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite an engaging story!

    ReplyDelete