Wednesday 30 December 2020

I dry my eyes


How confused one gets in these Covid days

It's summer again in Australia

And the sea beckons me as I drive by

The beach is almost empty (mingling not good)

I sit in my car and I view the scene

"Take off your shoes and come in for quick swim"

Whispers the teasing crested waves to me

My toes wriggle with anticipation

So I look and yearn for those long gone days

Still lingering there and undecided

Watching others walk along far apart

Next time I'll take my bathers from the closet

Find a secluded beach in a little cove

My mind is already shedding laced shoes

Now I am wriggling my toes again

But I'm still in the car dreaming away

Imagining lifesavers flag flapping there

And bikini clad girls playing around

Gulls squawk, I awake from my reverie

Start the car, taking one last look down there

Already feel flat and disappointed

Like a kid denied a trip, crying out loud

So I dry my eyes...the sea breeze does that!




 Illustration from www.Pixabay.com

 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely poem... Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope those tears soon dry..happy new year to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice thoughts, makes me want to visit the coast. I have never lived where anyone but brave souls swim (cold and/or riptides) but I still love taking off my shoes and feeling the sand and cold water, and beach combing. You really have made me yearn for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so understand that yearning. I hope this stay-away-from-each-other state is over soon. People need contact with people. This is a wonderful poem, Robin. I feel it all the way to my bongs (and burning eyes).

    Wishing you (and us all) a Happier New Year.

    ReplyDelete