Wednesday 16 December 2020

Down in my bones


Oh it's down in my bones I feel

I'm not the man I used to be  

Where is that boy that ran about 

And lived a life full of energy

Yet now I am but a pale visage

I find it hard to walk down the street

But I still love life it is so sweet

I would feel grateful in my bones

But they moan a lot when I walk

And I seem to groan as I talk

With my walking stick in right hand

I'm shorter too sinking in quick sand

Or that is how it seems to me

Wishing for life as it used to be


Image found at www.shutterstock.com


11 comments:

  1. Your poem really spoke to me, Robin! Getting older is not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very annoying, isn't it? Plenty of youthful vigour left on the inside, but ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggs get old? huh. Go figure.
    This (almost) septuagenarian relates, especially to the moanwalks. salute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ageing is inevitable....our bodies let us down ...They say there are good bits to ageing. I have not yet discovered any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the aches and pains sometimes myself, but unlike the narrator, wouldn't want to go back to life as it was. Too much pain along the way to relive again. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday I saw art that illustrated the saying "When I look in the mirror, I think ... THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT!" I laughed aloud at the irony of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very disconcerting, isn't it? In our thoughts, we are forever the wild and energetic teenagers we remember being. But the flesh and bones tell a different story, one full of aches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I join you in lamenting the downside of maturity. Both of my hips have been replaced, hoping they last as long as I do. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember talking to my mother in law about her youthful vigor and she laughed, saying I should have seen her when she was young, She was much bouncier then. But time and physics does place limits on things. I can feel a little of their claim on me already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This poem is my truth. Wonderful, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. as they say, youth is wasted on the young ~

    ReplyDelete