Thursday 3 December 2020

I'll catch up with you


The air was cool and the candle flickered

Remembering kissing your lips one last time

And that was oh so many years ago

Holding you tight under the mistletoe


You ditched your boyfriend, so that pleased me


I was no dancer in fact you led me

Nodding your head like a referee

Following your footsteps, that's if I could

With my face looking like a piece of wood


We married of course, had kids one, two, three


But sadly I know those days are long gone

For your beautiful eyes no longer shone

You closed your sleepy eyes one last time

Now I'm lonely, lurking, hearing bells chime


I'll catch up with you I will guarantee


2 comments:

  1. "I'll catch up with you..." is so moving. Such a sad and beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So poignant and touching - unconditional love itself

    ReplyDelete