Friday 20 November 2020

Winters come

 


Winter's come my hands are chapped

To warm them up I make them clap

I listen to the sounds of silence

There is no scent on my nose

Where are the critters? Who knows

Must be in bed like my wife Sue

Who will get up when she wants to


Don't be fooled she's worth every cent

Times ticking has changed not one thing

I remember all those years ago

As we sip on our lasting love

Much like a pair of cooing turtle doves

So grateful she did say "I do"

The clock ticked on as our love grew


So we gazed at tangerine skies

Saw the trust in each others eyes

We never tired of our love affair

Until the day I watched over you

In hospital for the last time

Longing that you'd stay with me

But sadly that was not to be



4 comments:

  1. That is so very touching. I don't know if your poetry is autobiographical or not, but this feels so real. If so, I am so sorry for your loss. I too lost a spouse of many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am old Lisa so I have a vast memory to improvise virtually every subject that come up. Losing loved ones happens but in this case it was merely the given words that decided the story...with help from the memory of course.

      Delete
  2. Such a touching poem - one of love and sadly loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may be old but I know you feel that loss keenly and it is there to stay but we must go on somehow and you are doing that.Everyone who does is a champ in my book. Keep safe

    ReplyDelete