Friday 13 November 2020

The ripening corn




What I liked as a kid

Was laying in a field out the back

Amid the stalks of ripening corn

Watching the butterflies flutter about

With the wide clear blue sky overhead

So glad that I had been born


I felt that I could sing

(Teacher said "T'was like a cross cut saw")

As I lay there quite safe out of sight

This sunny day of schools summer break

As I sank in my nest by myself

Warmed by the Sun's bright light


I'm no longer that boy

That tender age has long passed me by

When sliding on ice was just the thing

But kissing girls was not on the cards

The boy I was, just a speck of dust

Take me back...and I'll sing!


Image found at www.pixabay.com




3 comments:

  1. The throwback to the young days How memorable and free as can be. Nothing like the current pandemic restrictions the world is facing. Thanks for the memories Robin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nice! We were so eager to grow up not realizing those lazy days would end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so tempting to wish to travel back...at least we can in our imagination and in our words

    ReplyDelete