Wednesday 18 November 2020

Christmas Celebration



I recall before the world was rich
When I was just a little titch
Celebrations then were very few
For then we had so much more to do
As poverty is like that you know
I remember Christmases long past
My present was new shoes meant to last
Not a big box of creme de menthe
That would be gone in less than a month

But are we as rich as all that now seems
As we waste money beyond our means
Struggling to pay our debts later on
When the bank's credit has now all gone
Celebrations are all ebb and flow
We're told we are happy so think we are
So we are like cogs in a motor car?
Just consumers for rich magnates gain
Who rub their hands quite blind to our pain 





Illustration from www.goodnewsnetwork.com

12 comments:

  1. Nice one, Robin! (I have my own definitions of wealth, and they aren't monetary.) As always, you have a great way with rhyme. I particularly love that you used 'little titch', which I haven't heard in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the rich always seem to profit from the misery of others. How do they do that, anyway? On a more joyful note: Isn't it great that there are always little ways we can celebrate as we continue our journey through this life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your wise words ... I grew up in a family of modest means, though I never ever thought it at the time. Love and homemade gifts and goodies to eat were highlights of the Season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wisdom in your words. Sadly we've become a nation of excess, which does not equate satisfaction or happiness. Those simpler times were richer in ways that mattered more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'd rather do things low key than go into crazy debt. Makes for a much better quality of sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. I wonder if people will spend (charge) as much this year, with so many being out of work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent poem from a wise but still good looking older chap :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The excess and the wastage, two of the negatives in the scheme of celebrations

    Nice one Robin

    Happy you dropped by to read mine

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some tender memories you have captured

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto your setting during growing up, poor as dirt was our saying. But so were most of the neighbors. Thanks for sharing your finding your wife on mine, I've been rescued twice by ladies, probably really every one I got to know well. But two I married.
    Sorry to be so late coming here, things piled up.
    ..

    ReplyDelete