Sunday 5 July 2020

My brush with the law



Every Saturday night was the same, those lingering kisses and the last fond embrace had to be measured to the last second. I hadn’t missed a train yet but as we tended to stick to each other like glue a longer wait until the first train in the morning was always a possibility and being Sunday that would be a very long wait indeed.

Passing the shops a voice called out "Where are you off to in such a hurry?" It was a cop and his partner checking the shops. "What have you been up lad, running along like that?" 


Panting I said "Must catch the last train", paused  then "I just left friends house and the train leaves in a few minutes", still gasping for air.

They checked me out and smelt my breath but clearly could smell the scent of my girlfiend Jill's perfume on me. He grinned and said "Okay lad but don't leave it so late next time".


By the time I reached the station the level crossing gates were closing so I scampered over the footbridge and knew that I would make it after all.


Later I told my girlfriend what happened and she insisted I go earlier in future. Less than a year later we were wed so stayed together each and every night after that.





Word count 222

The Illustration is from an early TV series in Britain called "Nixon of Dock Green"




16 comments:

  1. I love that you have written this as prose, Robin, which makes it even more anecdotal and autobiographical. I remember missing the last train in a similar situation! Those were the days of the friendly cop on the beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you hate those unnerving brushes with the law, even though you know that you've done nothing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the fact that you have written this one as prose gives it an intimate touch. I especially resonate with the part about finding the scent of a beloved on a person. That is undoubtedly true!💝

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a sad commentary of our times that a policeman seeing a young man running assumes he's just robbed a store! All too often it's true, and all too often (in the U.S.) he may be armed. Yours was a refreshing tale of times gone by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some things are worth a run/run in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still the remarkable romance story. Happy Sunday Robin

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew! Such a close shave. Hooray for the happy endings, in the short and long-term! Puts me in mind of falling asleep one time in the bed of a young man I later married, and waking up with a start, very late to be making it home. (He had to take me, on the back of his motor-scooter.)

    I agree that it's nice to see some prose from your pen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always nice to get a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was thinking of Britney Spears' "Perfume" song while reading this. haha. but yeah, that's a romantic memory to remember for always. enjoyed reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That mad rush to the train to leave behind those last embraces of the evening, well said. I'm glad you had those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy endings make hilarious memories but the time they are being lived is an experience in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a happy ending...especially these days

    ReplyDelete