Wednesday 1 July 2020

Children in war


My wife and I were but children in war
Both living in small town at both ends so far
I lived at one end and she at the other
She had a sister and I had a brother
She went to school at end of main road
A short walk for her from place of abode
But for I had to catch a bus from my home
School not open when arrived so roamed
Us three kids would play wherever we could
Like derelict buildings or copse or wood

My wife and sister wouild run to their school
They were good and never played the fool
Air raids were frequent shelter was not close
Always would run there, were scared I suppose
Once when teacher was urging them along
She tripped on the pavement and face went bong
It cut her lip but was merely taped up
She got home later for mum to fix up
It was hardly noticeable all her life
But she mentioned it when she was my wife



Image found at www.pinterest.com




11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this bit of history, Robin, which reminds me of the stories my grandparents used to tell me. You might like my book, a Second World War ghost story for children set in London, called Joe and Nelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so evocative, Robin! I love the historical theme of this poem and visualized all the children during the time of the war, how they went about their day et al. Thank you so much for writing to the prompt!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you told this tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although war is always sad, but this poem has a cheerful tone to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your story poems! This is a really good write, recalling war times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe all of us are blessed when you share memories of long ago ... this one is poignant. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness it was just a little cut. It must have been so scary to be small then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the nostalgia coupled with the history_ and of course ending with a love story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am alwayes awed by your rhyming poems Robin. Another nice story told

    Happy Wednesday

    Muchđź’–love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the history. I can't imagine having to run for shelter during a bombing of the city I live in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a nice time before and generally after school. Naughty rough pavement, that's why we wore leather when riding motorcycles. Going up the stairs tonight I "went bong with my elbow, it was ... cut..." below my elbow, I'll tape it up on the way to bed after I wash it with soap and disinfectant. It left a gash a little over an inch long.
    ..

    ReplyDelete