Saturday 30 January 2021

Song Sings

 


Song often wandered off alone climbing to a high point and look out to sea. Yum was concerned and asked her what she did.

“I’m waiting to see what happens” she said.

But it is not safe” pleaded Yum.

Song smiled, “When I feel something may happen I look around me. Maybe the great spirit is telling me something. So I am waiting to see what it is.”

“It is not safe, Song” pleaded Yum.

“When the Great Spirit calls me I will listen. Don’t worry Yum, go home to Dum.”

When Yum returned to the village she spoke to Dum. “I am not happy that Song is out in the dark. Go and make sure she is safe and persuade her to come home.”

Dum was doubtful so Yum said “When you come back I will warm you up”, touching his face.

So Dum took a firebrand with him and went to where Yum said Song was. He found her staring at the moon.

He called softly to her “Song, it is me Dum”.

“Come sit Dum. Yum has sent you to look after me hasn’t she? We are a pair aren’t we? Tonight I feel something will happen we may see it together”.

They both looked out to sea then noticed the sky was darkening even though the moon was shining. Song nudged Dum  “Look at the moon, is it dying?” There were no clouds but the Moon was disappearing.

Songs face was covered with tears and she sang a sad song he’d not heard before. She then cried out “ Do not leave us Mother Moon we need you to lighten our darkness.”

Finally the moon was completely covered. Song sang her lament until the Moon satisfied someone cared for her showed a spark of light on her rim. They stayed some time until the full moon shone normally again. Dum held her close and brushed the hair from her face.

“Go home Dum” she said hoarsely.

He shook his head “We go back together Song”.

Song nodded reluctantly “I’ll see Yum tomorrow but tell no one else of this mystery. No one, do you understand?”

“No I don’t understand, but I trust you Song”.


368 words

Image from www.pixabay.com


 


12 comments:

  1. I love this episode best of all! (So far.) Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice I especially like the song for the dying moon and the returning of the light

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the developing relationship with Song, the concern Yum has and that she wants Dum to look after her. I love the way the experience the eclipse of the moon. This is such a gentle episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much. The very idea of Song and Yum being characters in a story makes my heart smile. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this. Are you writing a book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine how haunting her singing was in the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An ECLIPSE ..... how completely wonderfully awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was enjoyable to read this again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every installment of this story is good. I particularly like this one. An eclipse seen through the eyes of prehistoric people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like how the story progresses, how the characters, especially of Song, is being developed.
    this is a touching, tender story too, of how they viewed the eclipse. great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Has a real sense of the mystic to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful telling of the magic of an eclipse - love it.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete