Saturday 9 January 2021

In a different light


How time flies regardless of our wishes young or old

Pulse beating, pumping, blood circulating away

Dreaming of the past running round as we play

Leaping in the grassy fields, plucking wild flowers

Chasing each other barefoot or laying in the sun

For life was great them everything was good fun


Soon we'd see the girls in a different light

A smile from one of them had our hearts beating

What's to say seeing her face in a different light?

With both of you grinning as you meet each day

Now were a pair, a double holding hands in the street

Meeting each morning both hearts did skip a beat


Dad finds you shaving with his razor one friday morn

Well he say "I get you one of your very own"

Looks down at your scuffed shoes "You have to clean your own"

So no more kicking gravel, framed my life differently

I was flying, floating on a cloud way up high

Dreaming of my lovely sweet Ellen bye and bye


Illustration from www.pixabay.com

2 comments:

  1. I remember those times too well! I also remember shaving my legs with my dad's razor! My mother wondered why I wanted to shave my legs for anyway? Why'd she think? I was dark-haired and my legs were too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feels sweet and tender in its telling. That pivot from childhood to the rushing blood of the teen years--

    ReplyDelete