Friday 29 January 2021

Inheriting the keys to the kingdom



The rain beat against the window pane

The birds had disappeared, ants the same

Who could say what the wiggly worms all did

Probably from the birds they all hid


As the wind's squall beat about the bush

My wife cradled singing "Shush"

Whispering she would like a cup of tea

It was the weekend so that meant me


So I put the kettle on to boil

Which was quite good for a weekends toil

I looked out onto out uncut lawn

And the overgrown flowers all forlorn


Baby now was sleeping happily

She returned him to his nursery

Then came back, I held her in my arms

Then I stole a kiss, such were her charms


So we sat there as the rain fell down

We drank tea, I saw she had a frown

"You want me, don't you?" she said smiling

As she unbuckled my belt, grinning


Image found at www.pixabay.com

1 comment:

  1. My poem has someone inheriting a key as well! Not quite the cheeky ending yours has though! It would be just like a baby to wake right back up again. "Other people's" babies slept through the night, mine must have been eight years old before they did that! Maybe not that old, but it felt like it.

    ReplyDelete