Tuesday 12 January 2021

At home with nature


 

I never felt more at home in nature 

Than I did as an eight year old youngster

My delight was walking around the wild woods

Listening to the birds announcing me there

Telling all the critters I was there again

Squirrels would look down at me from the trees

And snakes now warned would slither away 


So rather than that I wander about

Sat down with my back to an old oak tree

To show that I certainly meant no harm

So that they slowly resumed their duties

The birds swooping around after insectss

The squirrels now leaping from limb to limb

A fox looking at me from far away


Keeping very still the creatures relaxed

Birds chatting away high above me

A hedgehog lumbered past me unafraid

And high in a tree an owl now peered down

Turned his head with one eye looked backwards

Then stayed like that for a few minutes

Now satisfied I was no threat turned away


Years later my wife and I did this too

Settling down in wild places overseas

All creatures are happy if you're no threat

Unless they have their young offspring close by

If only we would treat them with respect

Then they would know we do them no harm

We would then find they would not hide away


Illustration found at www.pixabay.com

10 comments:

  1. It is such a shame that most adults lose their childish wonder and never get it back – some of them couldn’t sit still long enough for woodland creatures to relax. I still love being in woods and listening to birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful descriptions of the natural world of your youth. Lovely that you and your wife shared this delight together when discovering the natural world of your second country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We travel through time, move from place to place, but deep in the woods is always deep in the woods. Long may it last. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely ... wonder at nature surrounding us must never fade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stay close to nature and thou shall not err'
    descriptive attractive imagery and wonderful narrative,carries a lesson to love nature and Gods other creations

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be interesting if doctors wrote an Rx for every patient to take 30 minutes to sit quietly in nature, listen and observe. Thank you for sharing the wisdom of the quiet moment of contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful this child in tune with nature.
    Lovely poem Robin. Happy Wednesday

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so often you bring back my own childhood memories! Back when it was safe, or safer at least, for me as a child to wander off into the woods when we camped. Or take hiking trails alone, passing other people. I couldn't do this now as an adult. I am happy I have a large yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, Robin. I've done similar treks, we had a creek in the southeast corner of our farm. There were trees and critters there, when my sister, five years younger, was old enough we would both go down there. My sons were later to get into trouble there, they crossed the fence into the neighbor's creek area and played in his fish stocked little lake. He let us know for them to not come back.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Around us at all times are the hidden creatures. Sometimes we are surprised and delighted by their presence.

    ReplyDelete