Sunday 20 March 2011

Freedom is a curse



Never ever free me from these memories.
Do you remember your first love?
I fell in love for the first time many times!
There was the girl that held my hand when we were singing in class, I had short trousers then.
Then there was Fay in the springtime, who accepted a trinket of my love but was gone by summer.
I always walked Jeannie to the bus after school and loved her freckled nose and the secret kiss by the swings.
Now my real first love was Irene who laughed at my impudence but scorned my affection and left me heartbroken.
Kathleen was the one that took me home and showed me to her parents and gave me tea and cakes and sat me in the front room and walked in the woods with me and then gave me up for one she really loved and broke my heart...again.
Dare I tell you about Enid the beautiful muse who was a friend but I couldn’t see she was the one that loved me until we parted when I fell into an abyss of despair and like Orpheus I searched everywhere for her and would even have followed her through the gates of hell if I had known where that was!
But fickle I was as man and youth and my heart had an enormous capacity to love. All these loves and more came into my life and each one was set free by me or by their own wisdom.
Even you my love who loved me constantly from youth to manhood through adventure and pain, through sadness and joy, through babies and children and grandchildren you left me too.
You left me, never to be free of all these loving memories and I would wish it no other way.

23 comments:

  1. Wow... these really made me smile. And they have pretty names. Made me think why can't I just be free to muse about past loves myself? Falling in love for the first time many times must be a good thing. Maybe I should try that if there's a chance :) Your final love is such a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous memories! I can see why you wouldn't want to be free from them. Freedom can be a curse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely yet sad post. Such an amazing view on love. Isn't it indeed true that we love many times in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bittersweet freedom. The speaker's acknowledgment of his part in the loss of love is in itself a freeing act.

    Here's mine, Robin:
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/a-mothers-ferocious-love/

    Peace, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you write.... you bring it all to life... I smiled all the way through this post and the last line touched a chord. Lovely write up!

    Happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was smiling all the way through this poem...I particularly liked the tenderness when speak of last love :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "When he fancies he is past love, it is then he meets his last love, and he loves her as he's never loved before." Am I right, or am I right? Seems to be so for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just one angle on love, I am sure there are lots of other loves and more to come. I love your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memories are indeed a most precious posession..especially when they can be described so beautifully and with so much humility..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting my site and I do agree, sometimes freedom can feel like a curse. But, your beautifully written piece, is also a rich aspect of that freedom as well,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. made my heart swell... and then broke it a little. Nice write, this one.
    Here's my FREE bit:
    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/01/31/you-me-and-fibonacci/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. You left me with chills.

    Meryl
    http://departingthetext.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. heartfelt and funny.


    awesome...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always, a pleasure to visit you. A beautiful walk through life and love. I really appreciated the "Orpheus and gates of hell". Wonderful write!

    Archna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed the memories you shared...and those you intimated...may you keep all of them close to heart. ~Paula

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was just wonderful to read! Yes, I think we all fell in love for the first time many times (and either had our hearts broken or ended up breaking them for someone else.) I loved the way you showed all this and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your last lines brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A deep, true love that chains with pleasant bonds. So tender and poignant. I'm sorry she had to go...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who wants freedom when the shackles of sweet memories delicately nudge us towards our outrageous fantasies?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent piece. I always say...Love, can't live with it and can't live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! So many loves, so many memories. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully written sad story with a great title, I enjoyed every word. Thank you also for stopping by, Robin. I like your blog and I'll be back to read more.
    ... fiction based on personal experiences...I can relate with that :)
    Have a wonderful day
    /Eclipse

    ReplyDelete